Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Books I've Read: The Homecoming



This is one of those books where the blurb grabbed me and I was super excited to start reading.  It sounded right up my alley with the boy POV, estranged family and a dead girlfriend.  I was ready to dive into an emotionally complex and moving book.

But I didn't really get that.

Something about the MC just didn't gel and I never found myself caring enough about him or what was going on in his life.  I never felt like I got under his skin and felt anything he was feeling.  Or even that he was really feeling anything.  It was almost like the author was describing what she thought he should be feeling rather than allowing the character to actually feel.

Maybe it was a stylistic choice because John had spent so long numbing himself with drugs and alcohol he didn't know how to feel.  

Whatever it was, it didn't work for me, and what should have been a painful, raw story about redemption and forgiveness, was actually a little dull.

Disappointing, really.  I hate it when a really good story is let down by less than great execution.  It's actually worse than a book that's beautifully written but has little to no plot to drive it.

But don't just listen to me.  Here's the blurb:


Forced to return to his estranged family, John discovers how hard it is to truly go home.

It's been a year since John lost his girlfriend, Leah, to suicide. Living with his uncle keeps his mind from the tragedy and his screwed up family-until he gets into trouble and a judge sends him back home. With a neglectful mother and abusive brother, John's homecoming is far from happy.

As he tries to navigate and repair the relationships he abandoned years ago, Emily, the girl next door, is the only bright spot. She's sweet and smart and makes him think his heart may finally be healing. But tragedy isn't far away, and John must soon face an impossible decision: save his family or save himself.

3 comments:

  1. The blurb does make it sound interesting. Too bad it didn't live up to its promise. I guess that happens sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think reading is subjective. Every book hits or misses its mark. It all depends on the readers mood most of the time, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is disappointing when a great story idea is let down by poor execution. I've read a few books that left me feeling this way.

    ReplyDelete