Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Books I've Loved: Ashes



Here's another one of those books I just couldn't put down, but really isn't my kind of book.  Well, maybe it is…  Ashes is the first book in a trilogy and is set in a post-apocalyptic world.  But unlike most post-a apocalyptic stories, the apocalypse happens at the beginning of the book.  So there are no rules or new orders to the world Alex finds herself in.

Alex has headed into the woods to say goodbye to her dead parents and to contemplate her own death.  She has a brain tumor and knows she hasn't got long to live.  Then something happens and kills almost everyone in the world, fries technology and leaves the few survivors to figure out how to live in this new place.

The characters are all really well developed and well drawn.  The writing is tense and you just have to read on, page after page.  I sped through this book and then couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequels.  Unfortunately I had to wait a while.  But I have now read the whole series and can say Ashes is definitely the best of the 3 books, but you will want to read the whole lot to find out what happens to Alex and her little crew.

If you don't believe me, here's the blurb:

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.

Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling post-apocalyptic novel about a world that could become ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds great! I love apocalyptic stories. Definitely going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And she has a brain tumor? Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That almost sounds like the movie, "Fifth Wave." There's a trailer Tuesday at Dezmond's blog, "The Hollywood Spy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, you'd think this would be my kind of book not yours because of the horror element, but I couldn't get into it with the YA characters. I'm glad you enjoyed the series! :)

    ReplyDelete