Tuesday, April 21, 2015

R is for Reading

What else could R be for?  I love to read.  I learned how when I was three and I haven't stopped.  I probably read three or four books every week, but I still never make it through half what I want to read.  Just check out my books on Goodreads if you don't believe me!

My oldest son loves to read as much as me.  Almost every time I want him to do anything, I'll find I'm on his bunk bed, earbuds in, book in hand.  He's 10, but he seems more like a teenager every day.

My youngest, on the other hand, isn't a great reader.  It's really only this year, when he's almost 8, that he's even started picking up books to read alone.  And I have to really push him to do that.  It worries me because I can't imagine a world without reading.

Reading takes you to other worlds.  It's entertaining.  It's educational.  It's informative.  I can't imagine my commute to work without reading, or flights to other cities or countries.  I read in the bath before bed each night and it's so much a part of my nightly routine, I doubt I'd be able to sleep without that forty minutes with my book each night.  I read while I drink my coffee in the morning.  And in any other little pockets of time I might find myself with during the day.

While I'll always be loyal to paper books, I love having an e-reader on my phone.  It means even when I'm going out to a gig or to the theatre or to a fancy party, I always have a book to read on the way or way home.  I think one of my biggest fears must be being stuck somewhere without something to read….

Do you get panicky when you're out and about and finish a book?

4 comments:

  1. I love reading, I couldn't imagine life without it. I don't get to read as much as I'd like to, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books and reading. I usually just feel disappointed when I get to the end of a book because there's not more :). I read a lot of fanfic as well as published books. Reading is wonderful and I wish everyone could appreciate it.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading and there's so much to read during the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get panicky, but I usually do have a book with me at all times, and I read at all hours. I absolutely love books. I'm also glad to see reading is alive and well with young people. During a school visit this week, going from class to class (3rd grade through 6th) the kids said much of what you said here: "You can learn things from books." "They entertain you." And, what delighted me, one girl said books were better than movies, "because you can use your imagination." Isn't that cool?

    ReplyDelete