Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Teen me vs Adult me

I've been battling a dilemma for the last 2 days and I've realized, the reason the decision is so difficult to make, is that the two sides of me are in conflict.

My favorite band ever, Einsturzende Neubauten,  is playing a show in Australia in February.  I've loved them since I first discovered them when I was 14 years old.  I own all their records.  I supported them financially when they decided to go out and make music without the support of a record label.  I even went to Berlin in 2003 to go to a party in their honor.  I've hung out in the studio with them.  I've eaten dinner with them.  I've drunk cocktails with them.

But I've never seen them play live.

And they haven't played in the Southern Hemisphere since 1991.  So this gig in Melbourne is probably my one and only chance to ever see them play live.

So on the one hand, I REALLY want to go.  I know if I don't, I'll regret it, like I've regretted not going to so many other things in my life.

But the tickets aren't cheap.  And I'll have to fly to Melbourne, which is also expensive.  And my passport expired last year, so I'll have to pay to get a new one before I go.  Not to mention my financial situation isn't that great right now.  I have a big pile of bills staring at me and the rates are due in two weeks, plus both my partner and my son have birthdays coming up in the next few weeks.

Hence my dilemma.

The teen me part of my brain says "just go for it.  You want to go?  You go."  But the responsible, adult part of me is screaming warnings in my ear.  "You can't afford it.  You're already in debt up to your eyeballs.  You'll wind up putting your kids out on the street."

What would you do????

8 comments:

  1. Here's my advice: Obviously the financial situation here is difficult and I don't know your details, however, where there's a will, there's a way. I'd take a good look at your finances and decide what you're willing to give up to go to this concert. It can be something tangible (like having a garage sale), something that sucks money (like eating out or cable tv), or something intangible (your time: get a part time job to raise the money). If you are willing to do the hard work to save and earn the money for the concert then you deserve to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah's right. If money is really tight and you honestly can't pay bills if you go -- then, er, going probably isn't in the cards. But there's a lot of time between now and then. Maybe you can sell something, borrow money from people who won't want it back for a while, find a little part time job during Christmas, or just cut corners (my hubby and I know beans have a lot of protein and are cheap! lol).

    I really hope you find the money 'cause you work so hard you deserve a treat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since the first day of the music festival sold out in about 24 hours, I went ahead and bought a ticket to the show. Now I have a little time to figure out if I can afford flights etc. If I can, great. If not, I can sell the ticket on Ebay...

      Delete
    2. That's the spirit -- now what else can you sell on eBay? I was amazed when hubby & I went through our things, what we had that we didn't want. Film cameras, clothes we've never worn, wedding gifts we've never used. A little here and there and you just might make it!

      Delete
  3. I hope you find a cheap flight. I hear about great deals all the time, so they are out there somewhere. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with making extra $$. It's healthy to do things that really bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if you will regret it then you should make every effort to go. Sometimes it's hard to think about the "I" but if you don't no one else will. Besides, when it comes to family, I'm pretty sure I O U's should count. lol. Good luck and keep us posted. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, there's time between now and then - make a savings plan, stash your spare coins in a jar, maybe have a garage or yard sale or sell stuff you don't want/need online and MAKE THIS HAPPEN! It's totally legit for you to want something just for you, you know? :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete