Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why did you like them?

I went to a screening last night.  That's not unusual, but what was, was that in the audience, in this very small theatre, were three of my ex-boyfriends.  Weird.  Well, maybe not so weird.  I've worked in the film industry for more than 20 years now, and was on the fringes for several years before I got my first paying cinema job,  so I suppose it only makes sense that the people I met and went out with were also in the industry.

But you know how it is when you see someone you went out with a long time ago again, and you look at them and go 'why?  What the hell did I see in him?'  Yeah, I had a little of that last night.

But then there's one guy (who was there last night too) and every time I see him again (which isn't often because he doesn't live in the same city as me) I remember exactly why I went out with him, why I liked him.  And it's funny, because the traits I like in him are the same traits I like in my current partner (of 15 years and 2 kids).

I guess I have a type....  Who'd have thought?

Have you ever re-met someone you went out with and remembered exactly why you loved them?

6 comments:

  1. I fall more in to the Why did I like them? category, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are one or two that fit into that category. Mostly, I'm with Kelly-wondering what I ever saw in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time, I have no clue what I ever saw in certain guys (around high school), but I remember what I saw in guys after that, and even if I don't like them now, I know why I once did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cats! Three exes in one audience is bizarre! I tend to not having anything to do with my exes (except my kid's dad, and really, only as needed)...I wonder, actually, what unexpectedly coming across one would feel like...not that I want to, anytime soon. :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small city... I've been at functions where there have been more than 3 in the past. It's weird.

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking and thinking, and I don't think I've ever met an ex after I stopped dating (or divorced) them. Guess I'm lucky -- or maybe it's just 'cause I move around so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete