Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pack Mentality

The Rugby World Cup is on at the moment and the whole country seems to have dropped any interest in anything they may have had except rugby. Personally, I think rugby is boring and I can't be bothered with it. It irritates me that the whole nation seems to be on standby until it's over.

The pack mentality is something awesome to see. Last night there was a big game on at 8.30pm and by 8.15 crowds were spilling out of the bars up and down the street my cinema is on. I didn't need to watch the game because the roars and groans of disappointment ringing up and down the street were enough to tell me exactly what was going on. Strangers grabbed each other and hugged when one team scored.

It's like sport can create an artificial brotherhood between people. Supporters are united in their passion for their team. I guess it's nice, in its way, but I can't help remembering how these things can turn brutal (British football hooligans, anyone?). A lone guy sat on a railing last night, waving his large French flag. I couldn't help wondering how long it would be before someone gave him a shove and he went tumbling to the street below...

Are you a sports fan? Do you feel an affinity with others who support your team?

No comments:

Post a Comment