Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Treasures in ice

This week saw the coldest day on record in the city where I live. Yes, it was cold. Very cold. So of course, I chose a day just after that to defrost my freezer. It was time. Actually, well past time. Ice hung in delicate fringes from the roof and it was impossible to cram another thing in there.

So yesterday, I attacked this miniature Arctic.

Amazing the things you find.... My son was delighted with a strawberry popsicle I unearthed, and slurped it down while asking for a cup of tea to warm him up. I discovered plastic pots of risotto I made for my youngest son when he was in the early days of eating solids. I found a single freezer-burnt hamburger patty. There were 4 different kinds of pastry too, and I don't use pastry much. Plus a whole stack of burritos. I have to ask why the manufacturers of burritos always put either 6 or 10 in a package. 6 is too few for a family of 4, but 10 is too many. So I always end up buying the 10, using 8 of them, and shoving the other 2 in the freezer for next time. But do I remember they're in there? No, of course not. So there were about 15 packages of 2 burritos in there.

There were several almost-empty packets of frozen veggies too. I excavated these and used them in last night's dinner (don't tell the 4 year old...). Now the freezer is clean and there is a ton of space in there for new delights. Not more old burritos, although I'm sure a few will sneak their way in there again.

What treasures have you unearthed in the back of your refrigerator/freezer?

3 comments:

  1. This is hysterical.
    Right now my freezer is full of fish and moosemeat (which I used to like, but don't anymore).
    I haven't dug into the far depths in a long time, but I always find a few single, totally freezer burned, veggie burgers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you must have a big freezer. Mine's tiny. There's barely room for ice trays, let alone all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a small freezer, and I thought I don't really lose anything in it. It's not as small as Sarah's, though.

    I just went to take a look through it, and realized that I'd sorta-forgot about the package of turkey breast that I got at the store a week ago.

    The inventory also includes:
    processed hash-brown type potato patties
    'Tasty taters' brand tater tots
    store-bought banana muffins
    4 servings of little caesar's pizza in ziplock bags.
    kernel corn
    supermarket packages of:, extra lean ground beef, boneless chicken breast, beef stewing cubes.
    2 prepackages hamburger patties
    3 slices of bread, including one crust slice
    4 'chicken tournedos' from the store freezer section
    5 servings of filet mignon also from the supermarket freezer section.


    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete