Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pottering

I'm feeling kind of at a loose end. I finished the draft of Tail Lights a week ago, and am not quite ready to dive into a new novel just yet, so I'm pottering. I've been trying out new query letters for A9. I've been trying (without much success I have to say) to write a synopsis of A9 too. Do you guys hate synopses as much as me? I've been fiddling with some short story ideas too.

I've also been having a rather stressful time at work over the past week, and that isn't helping with my creative productivity. Sometimes it just isn't possible to block out the distractions. Especially when the distractions are big enough to keep me from sleeping. Nothing usually does that. I don't sleep a lot, but when I do, I sleep hard. This week? Lots of lying awake at 3am trying to distract myself with stories that will probably never be written.

I hope by the beginning of next week all the work-stress will be resolved. I need to settle down and decide what I'm going to work on next and how I'm going to approach it.

And I need to figure out how to make this damned synopsis work. Anyone have any guidelines or examples that work?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry work is giving you that kind of stress right now :-( I have a book I'm starting to read called 'Guide to Query Letters' from Writer's Digest and it looks like it might have some good synopsis samples in it. If so, I'll let you know when I get that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lark.

    I just read through your posts. I didn't make it to the next round either. Only two people I know did out of a least ten of us how made it through the first cut.

    ON a positive not. The Critique Sisters who are friends of mine did a post about writing a good synopsis... Here is their link. I hope it helps.

    http://critiquesisterscorner.blogspot.com/2011/03/short-synopsis.html

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    And bummer you didn't make it through either Michael. Must've been a lot of good excerpts... Or we just got the wrong reviewers for our stuff.

    ReplyDelete