Thursday, February 24, 2011

Relief...

The wait is over. The first round Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award results are in, and I made the first cut. Phew... I had managed to convince myself I'd be dumped in the first round this year, so I'm feeling very relieved right now.

And very sad. Some of my writing friends did make it through, but my only friend to enter in General Fiction as opposed to YA, did not. Her book's good too! And I liked her pitch. But perhaps the subject matter is not the right fit for this particular contest. Or there were other books that had a similar plot, or theme. Or perhaps the stars were not aligned correctly. There is no way of knowing. Everyone who got cut, don't give up. This is only one route to publication, not the only one.

Time will tell what happens next. I have 26 days to wait until the next round's cuts are announced. In the meantime, I'm going to keep my head down and keep working on my new book. I'm not expecting to get through to the final 3 in ABNA (although it is nice to dream about it), and it would be good to have something fresh to enter in 2012....

If you entered, did you make it through the pitch round? Let me know so we can root for you.


9 comments:

  1. <3 You just made me grin.

    Best of luck to you. I'll be back next year with something new (and not angel related), and had better see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, fingers crossed I'll be there with a shiny new book... Otherwise, I can just dust A9 off for a third attempt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Kate! At least we know the pitch is decent, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jay!

    Or if the pitch ain't decent, the others were worse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    I always believed you'd make it through... Congratulations! I, and several of my blogging buddies made it through as well.

    I'm having a blog party tomorrow to celebrate ALL entrants.... We are all winners just because we have a finished novel and had the guts enough to try.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you made it through the first round! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks y'all!

    And good luck Jay and Michael!

    ReplyDelete