Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Who says no one reads anymore?

I take public transport a lot. I also walk a lot, but that's another story, and not relevant to today's topic. This week I've been very conscious of how many people read on the bus. I know I always do - when I don't have kids to wrangle that is- but I thought I was kind of unique in that. I panic if I realize I've left the house without something to read, but again, an whole other post, maybe for another day.

People bemoan the fact no body reads anymore. But I'd like to dispute that. On a full bus this morning, I'd say well over half the people on board were reading. A couple had newspapers, one had a woman's magazine, a few were obviously doing some last minute cramming before an exam, but the vast majority were holding books. Real, paper books - e-readers haven't really taken off here yet, probably due to the fact you can't get Kindles.

It makes me feel good to know there are still a lot of people out there who like to lose themselves in a book. Especially when I spoke to one of my staff last night and he said he hadn't read anything except assigned texts all year. ALL YEAR! That blows my mind.

There are still readers out there. Lots of them. So keep writing those books y'all. They're needed after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment