Saturday, July 17, 2010

Drive

I saw a documentary about Joan Rivers on Friday, and what impressed me about her the most was her drive. She's 75 years old, but is still as determined and driven to work as she was as a young struggling comedian. And she's still as funny and lewd and outrageous as ever. I know part of it is a desperate need to be loved and to have the attention that comes with being in front of an audience, but anyone who still panics about white space in her diary at the age of 75 has to be admired.

I don't think Joan suffers from procrastination. She'll do anything, is game for any challenge and even if she doesn't like it, will show up and do her best. I think we can all learn something from that.

As writers, it's easy to lose that drive. Rejections knock us on our asses, there isn't enough time in the day to do the writing we know we need to be doing, the house needs cleaning, this list goes on. To make it, you really need to WANT to succeed. You can't be half-assed about it or you won't. You need to focus and throw yourself into it, even when you don't really feel like it. Write every day, even when you don't really have an idea. Don't stall on projects, just throw yourself into them and get them done. If you can do that, you'll be well on your way to fulfilling that dream.

I'm as guilty as the next person. Some days just dragging myself to the computer and opening my WIP is painful. But I usually find, if I do it, I can throw myself in. Sometimes it starts slowly, but I usually warm into it. And if I can't, then I'll try something else.

I dont think I'm as driven as Joan Rivers, but I sure as hell am working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment